Skip to main content

Things I've Learned in Ballet Class (at UVU)

The teachers here are simply amazing. I am looking at dance in a new light and using my muscles in a way that makes so much sense! The teachers here are masters at imagery and connecting what we do at barre to center work.


On develope, think of your leg as a vine, growing up your leg.
When going to passe from second, fifth or first, think of the standing leg pushing all the way down to Beijing. I don't know why, but thinking Beijing! when I hit the position helps me stabilize and remember to pull up and push down. Opposition in ballet is key.
We TAKE ballet class. We don't just go or do. We say "I'm going to take class." So take it! Take initiative, make decisions, concentrate, extend, listen and improve.
Lift up out of your pointe shoes to roll down.
Understand human anatomy so you can really understand what your muscles are doing and how to connect, utilize and stretch them correctly.
Think of horizontal, sagital and vertical planes when watching choreography so you can pick it up quickly. Think of it in class as well so you can visualize a position.
"If you're just here to get sweaty, the teacher won't notice you. You aren't just getting a workout, you should be performing"
Remember that ballet is about geometry.
The music is what moves you.
Adagio should be like the anticipation of getting ice cream for the audience. They don't know what's coming next, is smooth and soft, lots of flavors and textures, exciting.
Think of what barre exercises you are using in every center combination.
Think of a dog shaking off water when you do a pirouette, there's a little whip. your head spots, your leg shoots up and your arms draw together.
Use shoulder blades for balancing, especially in high fifth
Whatever you do, do it with intent, purpose and passion.
"We're in the business of changing people. Starting with ourselves."
Today (now Sept 23) Mark said "Golda I'm starting to dig the way you work baby." If you're not a dancer, that might sound weird, but it was such a compliment! I've been working on listening and taking corrections immediately and it's so nice when teachers notice.
That's all I can think of right now. I am keeping a ballet journal to write in so I can remember everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First day of college

Man, the first day was amazing! I don't have class until 9:30, then I walked over (super easy, short walk) and found my modern class easily. We went over questions and syllabus today so no dancing. I really love the faculty and I'm so glad I got to go to workshops here in high school so I'm a little familiar with the program. Then I had technique 2, and we did one across the floor. The two teachers said "okay, we have some people we want to move up to Tech 3 right now...Golda..." I was so happy! Placement happens throughout the week, but I was so happy to get moved up right away! So now I'm in pointe 3 too. I feel so grateful to be able to dance 9:30 to 2:30 every.day. !!!! I didn't get into my first institute class, so I read all the emails from my missionary friends. Mondays are a whole lot better with those! :) My colloquium class was good, then I met up with my roommate who was hanging out with 2 RMs. We went to play ping pong before another Freshman...
The world is big. It can be scary. It can be a lot of things, a lot of adjectives because well, it's the WORLD. But there is so much  good  in it. Make it your mission to notice the good in every day life. One thing that you can count on is the sun. It rises, it's warm, it gives light. Things we need. Things that are good, life sustaining, bright. Happiness is not a side affect of a perfect life. Waiting to be happy is just plain silly. Happiness wants to come into your life, in fact, it already has, so acknowledge and befriend it. Make it deeper and better with gratitude, consistence and effort. The good in the world is apparent and abundant, just like happiness. Focusing on the good doesn't mean we ignore the sad stuff going on, refuse to ever watch the news, or be ignorant of pressing matters around the world. It just means that you cling to hope, never give up, fight discouragement and let the good into your life. Let the good in, put some good out, let light radiate fr...

DC pics