Skip to main content
I sent this in to a contest for a cash scholarship on a student website. The prompt was "What's the greatest gift you have ever been given?"

The sun was beating down and every step we took seemed to take us closer to the Sun and its flaming heat. My ballerina legs were beginning to fail me and I wondered how they could support me dancing for seven hours, but not hiking for three. I looked ahead along the trail and found my French hosts bounding up the mountain. They were agile and excited and quick. And seventy-three years old.
 I realized I was getting lapped by an elderly man with asthma and all I could do was laugh. (Until that became too tiring).  I decided to instead focus on the beautiful scenery....and the picnic that we would have on the summit.
After eating and taking pictures, I still felt unprepared for the long trek down. My hair was sweaty and clingy, and I started to regret not wearing makeup. I could even taste the grit of dirt on my teeth. The first small hill was easy enough and I rounded the corner, eager to let the momentum simply carry me the rest of the way down.
"When you walk, you dance."
I looked back to see Hubert, the freakishly athletic seventy-three year old with asthma. In his broken English he had just given me the kindest, most genuine, and meaningful compliment I had ever received. Even in my exhausted state, he saw past my limitations and told me I had something that I had been trying to cultivate my whole life: grace.
Even though it was a simple compliment, I really appreciated the validation and confidence it gave me. So now I am more able to see the gracefulness behind every attempt and realize that some of my seemingly big fails are just dance steps down the slope of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First day of college

Man, the first day was amazing! I don't have class until 9:30, then I walked over (super easy, short walk) and found my modern class easily. We went over questions and syllabus today so no dancing. I really love the faculty and I'm so glad I got to go to workshops here in high school so I'm a little familiar with the program. Then I had technique 2, and we did one across the floor. The two teachers said "okay, we have some people we want to move up to Tech 3 right now...Golda..." I was so happy! Placement happens throughout the week, but I was so happy to get moved up right away! So now I'm in pointe 3 too. I feel so grateful to be able to dance 9:30 to 2:30 every.day. !!!! I didn't get into my first institute class, so I read all the emails from my missionary friends. Mondays are a whole lot better with those! :) My colloquium class was good, then I met up with my roommate who was hanging out with 2 RMs. We went to play ping pong before another Freshman...
The world is big. It can be scary. It can be a lot of things, a lot of adjectives because well, it's the WORLD. But there is so much  good  in it. Make it your mission to notice the good in every day life. One thing that you can count on is the sun. It rises, it's warm, it gives light. Things we need. Things that are good, life sustaining, bright. Happiness is not a side affect of a perfect life. Waiting to be happy is just plain silly. Happiness wants to come into your life, in fact, it already has, so acknowledge and befriend it. Make it deeper and better with gratitude, consistence and effort. The good in the world is apparent and abundant, just like happiness. Focusing on the good doesn't mean we ignore the sad stuff going on, refuse to ever watch the news, or be ignorant of pressing matters around the world. It just means that you cling to hope, never give up, fight discouragement and let the good into your life. Let the good in, put some good out, let light radiate fr...

DC pics